Last updated on August 25th, 2021 at 11:59 pm
SNAPCHAT EMOJI MEANINGS
😀 🙏 😍 😎 🙈
I’m sure you’ve come across graphics like the above online. They are everywhere, especially on social media sites. They are called Emojis. Are you on Snapchat or thinking of joining? Then it is imperative that you know the Snapchat emoji meanings to fully utilize and understand the platform. Maybe you confused or not quite sure about what these emojis represent. Then you are in the right place right time. Here I am talking about Snapchat emoji meanings.
Like any other element of communication, emoji can be misinterpreted or misunderstood. This article takes a look at the meaning of each of the emojis on Snapchat to help you avoid any confusion.
It is my desire that at the end of reading this article, you would have clarity on what an emoji is, it’s the origin, how to join Snapchat, what each of the emojis on Snapchat means and of course how to get your personal emoji called a Bitmoji.
First off, what really is an emoji?
What is an emoji?
Emojis have become the universal language of the digital age. Irrespective of the language you speak or understand, the moment you are online especially on the social media you encounter the modern-day primitive language- the emoji.
Emojis are primarily pictograms or icons and have come to represent different words, emotions, etc. They have evolved over the years to represents countries, cultures, occupations, food, and so on.
Origin of Emojis
The name actually comes from two Japanese words “e” – meaning “picture” and “moji” meaning “character” Picture-character. Emojis have their origin in Japan. In 1999, a man named Shigetaka Kurita who worked for a phone company called Docomo came up with the first Emoji. He wanted a way for people to send messages through pictures to each other thereby using fewer data. Over the years, these “picture characters” have taken off and is being used universally during digital communication.
I’ve often wondered why we choose to use emojis to communicate instead of words. An article on Psychology Today explains it this way. “Emojis are not labeled, so their meaning is up to those who use them. But because they often telegraph an easily identified thought or feeling, they are mostly understood in context. They help us to add tone and clarity to our communication. … To communicate when words fail us.” This helps explain why they have become so popular. It is definitely easier to express how funny you find a situation with an emoji-like this 🤣🤣🤣 than write ROTFL or even worse writing – I find that hilarious. The emoji definitely communicates the feeling better.
How to use Emojis
Emojis can be used in uncountable ways, but these are some of the most common:
● To replace certain words. Yes is often replaced with 👍
● To help us type less. Human beings are lazy and therefore always look for easier ways and shortcuts to most things. Emojis serve that purpose very well.
● To increase social intimacy. In a casual conversation, it’s easier to add feelings to the words typed with emojis.
● To lighten the mood by introducing sarcasm or humor.
● To soften a blow. People might use emojis to soften the meaning of a certain remark or a comment they made. A person can make a critical comment, for example, then use emojis to make it seem much lighter. You must be crazy! 😂
● To find a more comfortable way to express ourselves. Some people use emojis in order to express their emotions in a better way. The emojis in such a case compensate for the fact that chatting makes people’s emotions unclear.
● To communicate when words fail us. People can use emojis when they fail to find the right words to say. In such a case, the emojis can communicate their feelings or reflect the fact that they are stuck.
What is Snapchat?
Snapchat is a multimedia messaging app that is used globally. It is one of the top social media sites. It’s not just a social media site, it is a camera. Hold-on, not your regular camera but imagine a camera connected to your friends and family, where you can quickly send a picture or video of what is happening right there without typing a word. Remember the saying that a picture is worth a thousand words. With Snapchat, you are not just sending photos but you become an expert photo editor as it comes with a complete toolbox to perform some ‘magic’. All you need is to tap on your photo and you can contour your face for professional makeup, change your face to that of a cat or dog, and soo much more!
Starting or Opening an Account
To get started, visit www.snapchat.com and install the App on your phone or tablet. It is free to download and sending messages is free as well. Snapchat is a mobile-only messaging app that will permit you to send a photo or video “snap” that automatically deletes after being viewed. The sender can choose the amount of time the snap can be viewed, from one to ten seconds, and then POOF! The message is gone forever!
Why and how it’s different
Unlike other social media where your posts are stored and sometimes shared with other people, all posts to Snapchat disappears after a certain amount of time, or after they’re viewed, which makes it quite attractive for those that don’t want records of their digital activities.
Snapchat Emoji Meanings
What do the Snapchat emojis mean?
There are different types of emojis on Snapchat. To make it easier for you to understand, we’ll categorize them into two.
1. Friendship Emojis
2. Trophy Emojis
On Snapchat, these are the emojis that appear next to a name on your friend’s list. There are about 13 of them currently, bear in mind that more can be added to this list as time goes on. Let’s take them one at a time to explain their meanings.
● 👶 BABY:- The baby emoji appears next to a friend’s name on your list when the friendship is very new. In essence, you just recently became friends with this person. IT’S-A BABY FRIENDSHIP!
● 🌟 GOLD STAR:- The gold star appears next to a friend’s name on your list when someone has replayed this friend’s snaps in the past 24 hours. Meaning that YOUR FRIENDS’ SNAP IS BECOMING POPULAR.
● 💛 YELLOW HEART:- As your friendships blossom, you’ll find out that there is a friend you send the most snaps to, and in return, they send you the most snaps. The yellow heart appears beside such a friend. Meaning, YOU ARE EACH OTHER’s BEST FRIEND ON SNAPCHAT.
● ❤ RED HEART:- Two weeks of being best friends with each other earns you a red heart. So, for two weeks, uninterrupted you have been sending the most snaps to each other. YOU HAVE BEEN BEST FRIENDS FOR TWO WEEKS.
● 💕PINK HEARTS:- Wow! This is a great place to be with a friend. For two months straight, you have been best friends with this person. You have a lot going and have similar interests. YOU BOTH DEFINITELY HAVE BECOME BFFs – Best Friends forever!
● ☺ SMILING FACE:- The smiling face appears next to a friend who you spend quite a lot of snaps to but is not your number one best friend. THIS IS A VERY CLOSE FRIEND BUT NOT YET NUMBER ONE.
● 😎FACE WITH SUNGLASSES:- When you and this friend have been sending the most snaps to a mutual friend. This means that one of your closest friends is also their closest friend. YOU HAVE A CLOSE FRIEND IN COMMON.
● 😬GRIMACING FACE:- You and this friend are sending the most snaps to the same person. Not a very nice place to be if I might add! It means that you are not that special, YOU BOTH HAVE THE SAME BEST FRIEND.
● 😏SMIRKING FACE:- You are not being fair to this friend. They have been sending you many more snaps than you send to them. They consider you a best friend but you don’t see them as your best friend. YOU ARE THEIR NUMBER ONE FRIEND BUT THEY ARE NOT YOURS.
● 🔥FIRE:- Snapstreak! You and this friend have been sending daily snaps to each other without fail. This is called a snap streak. A number beside the fire shows how many days the snap streak has been on. In my opinion, this is one of the most interesting and unique things about Snapchat. It’s almost like a game/contest, you want to see just how long your streak can go on. There have been reports of snap streaks that have gone on for 1,112 days! YOU HAVE A SNAP STREAK GOING ON.
● ⏳HOURGLASS:- This appears when your snap streak is about to end. It’s more like a warning to remind you not to lose the streak you both have worked so hard to build. YOU ARE ABOUT TO LOSE YOUR SNAP STREAK! Quickly send another snap so as not to lose it.
● 💯HUNDRED:- The hundred emoji appears next to the fire emoji when you and this friend have been sending snaps to each other daily for 100 uninterrupted days. It’s a nice place to be. The game is on, make sure not to lose your streaks. 100 DAYS OF SNAP STREAK. Congratulations!
● 🎂BIRTHDAY CAKE:- This appears when your friend is having their birthday. For this emoji to show, your friend must have activated the birthday party mode. IT’S YOUR FRIENDS BIRTHDAY. Send them your warm thoughts.
● 👆1 FINGER:- You have sent a snap that has one filter applied to it.
● ✌2 FINGERS:- You have sent a Snap with two filters applied to it.
● 📼VIDEOTAPE:- You have sent a video snap.
● 🎥MOVIE CAMERA:- 50 video snaps sent.
● 📹VIDEO CAMERA:- 500 video snaps.
● 🌞SUN FACE:- Using a temperature filter of above 100 degrees Fahrenheit to send a snap.
● ❄SNOWFLAKE:- Using a temperature filter of below freezing point to send a snap.
● 🔦FLASHLIGHT:- Send 10 Selfie snaps.
● 👹OGRE:- Send 1000 Selfie snaps.
● 👶BABY:- Snapchat says your score is the combined number of Snaps you’ve sent and received. You get one point for every Snap you send and a point for every Snap you receive. A Baby emoji shows a score of 10.
● 🌟GOLD STAR:- This indicates a Snapchat score of 100.
● ✨SPARKLES:- A Snapchat score of 1000!
● 💫CIRCLED STAR:- 10,000 Snapchat score!
● 💥EXPLOSION:- 50,000 Snapchat score!
● 🚀ROCKET :- 100,000! You are a Snapchat rock-star.
● 👻GHOST:- You’ve hit 500,000 Snapchat score! You are not of this world!
There are still a few other emojis on Snapchat like the Verified account holders – mostly public figures and celebrities that have a custom emoji, for instance, Arnold Schwarzenegger is represented by a Bicep.💪
Some others have used different fruits emoji Snapchat emoji meanings to represent their relationship status.
● 🔵 Blue (blueberry) – Single
● 🍍 Pineapple – It’s complicated
● 🍒 Cherry – In a relationship
● 🍎Apple – Engaged
● 🍌 Banana – Married
● 🍓 Strawberry – Can’t find the right person
● 🥑 Avocado – I’m the better half
● 🍋 Lemon – I want to remain single
Even the zodiac signs Snapchat emoji meanings are represented by some purple signs
● ♈ Aries – March 21 – April 20
● ♉ Taurus – April 21 – May 21
● ♊ Gemini – May 22 – June 21
● ♋ Cancer – June 22 – July 22
● ♌ Leo – July 23 – August 22
● ♍ Virgo – August 23 – September 23
● ♎ Libra – September 24 – October 23
● ♏ Scorpio – October 24 – November 22
● ♐ Sagittarius – November 23 – December 21
● ♑ Capricorn – December 22 – January 20
● ♒ Aquarius – January 21 – February 19
● ♓ Pisces – February 20 – March 20
A Bitmoji is your own personal emoji. Your Bitmoji represents you all around Snapchat. You can customize how your Bitmojilooks and even what they wear.
To create your Bitmoji, just go to your profile page and tap create Bitmoji and follow the prompts.
In conclusion, emojis have become the lingua franca of the twenty-first century. For you to communicate effectively, especially online, it is urgent for you to understand the meaning of the various emojis. Even more important, if you are on Snapchat to know what each of these images represents. This will enable you to communicate effectively, participate fully, and enjoy your
experience on Snapchat.
If you don’t mind, hook up with me on Snapchat, let’s start our friendship 👶and hopefully grow to become BFFs.